Close Menu
cvnznews.com
  • Home Page www.cvnznews
  • About Us
  • Statement of Faith
  • Editorial Policy
  • Contact us
What's Hot

Willis Swings the Axe: Nearly 9000 Public Service Roles to Go

May 19, 2026

U.K. pastor’s prosecution suggests “creeping censorship”

May 19, 2026

Shoppers May Have Cut Back, But Still Spending

May 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
cvnznews.com
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
cvnznews.com
Home»World»WHO declares Ebola outbreak in DR Congo an international emergency
World

WHO declares Ebola outbreak in DR Congo an international emergency

BBC News ServiceBy BBC News ServiceMay 19, 2026No Comments5 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

By Thomas Mukhwana/Janes Gallagher, BBC News.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo a public health emergency of international concern.

The agency said the outbreak in DR Congo’s eastern Ituri province, which has seen around 246 suspected cases and 80 deaths reported, does not meet the criteria of a pandemic emergency.

But it warned it could potentially be “a much larger outbreak” than what is currently being detected and reported, with significant risk of local and regional spread.

The WHO says the virus has spread beyond DR Congo, with two confirmed cases reported in neighbouring Uganda

The current strain of Ebola is caused by the Bundibugyo virus, the health agency said, for which there are no approved drugs or vaccines.

Early symptoms include fever, muscle pain, fatigue, headache and sore throat, and are followed by vomiting, diarrhoea, a rash and bleeding.

The WHO saidthere are now eight laboratory-confirmed cases of the virus, with other suspected cases and deaths across three health zones including Bunia the capital of Ituri province, and the gold-mining towns of Mongwalu and Rwampara.

One case of the virus has been confirmed in the capital Kinshasa, believed to be in a patient returning from Ituri.

The WHO said that the virus has spread beyond DR Congo, with two confirmed cases reported in neighbouring Uganda. Ugandan officials said a 59-year-old man who died on Thursday had tested positive.

In a statement, the Ugandan government said the patient who died was a Congolese citizen whose body had already been returned to DR Congo.

A laboratory has also confirmed an Ebola case in the eastern city of Goma, currently controlled by the M23 rebels, the AFP news agency reported on Sunday.

At least six Americans have been exposed to Ebola in DR Congo, and one has displayed symptoms but none have been confirmed to have been infected, the BBC’s US partner CBS reports, citing sources.

The US government was reportedly trying to transport them out of the country, possibly to a military base in Germany, STAT News reports.

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said it planned to send more staff to DR Congo and Uganda, while the US Embassy in DR Congo issued a health alert reminding citizens not to travel to Ituri province.

The BBC has contacted the CDC for comment.

The WHO said the ongoing security situation and humanitarian crisis in DR Congo, combined with high population mobility, the urban location of the hotspot, and the large number of informal healthcare facilities in the region increased the risk of spread.

Countries bordering the DR Congo are considered high risk due to trade and travel.

Rwanda said it would be tightening screening along the country’s border with DR Congo as a “precautionary measure”.

Its health ministry said surveillance systems had been strengthened and health teams were on alert to “ensure early detection and rapid response if needed”.

Reuters A health worker puts on Ebola protection gear before entering the Biosecure Emergency Care Unit (CUBE) at an Ebola treatment centre in Beni, in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
DR Congo’s deadliest outbreak was between 2018 and 2020, during which nearly 2,300 people died

The WHO advised that DR Congo and Uganda establish emergency operation centres to monitor, trace, and implement infection-prevention measures.

To minimise spread, it said confirmed cases should be immediately isolated and treated until two Bundibugyo virus-specific tests conducted at least 48 hours apart are negative.

For countries bordering regions with confirmed cases, governments should enhance surveillance and health reporting.

The WHO added that countries outside the affected region should not close their borders or restrict travel and trade as “such measures are usually implemented out of fear and have no basis in science”.

WHO director general Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned there are currently “significant uncertainties to the true number of infected persons and geographic spread” of the outbreak.

What is Ebola and how does it spread?

  • What is causing this outbreak? Ebola is a disease caused by a virus – it is rare, but severe and often deadly. There are three species of Ebola virus that cause outbreaks, and this one is known as Bundibugyo
  • How is Ebola transmitted? It spreads between people through infected bodily fluids, such as blood and vomit
  • How deadly is it? Around 30% of people have died in previous outbreaks of Bundibugyo Ebola virus
  • What is the incubation time? Symptoms appear between two and 21 days after being infected
  • What are the symptoms? The initial symptoms appear suddenly and are flu-like, such as a fever, headache and tiredness. As the disease progresses, vomiting and diarrhoea develop and the body’s organs do not work as well. Some patients may develop internal and external bleeding
  • Where does Ebola come from? Outbreaks start when somebody catches Ebola from infected animals, such as fruit bats
  • Is there a vaccine? There are vaccines for the Zaire species of Ebola, but not for Bundibugyo
A map of DR Congo, showing Ituri, Mongwalu and Rwampara and Bulape, along with neighbouring countries Uganda, South Sudan, Tanzania and Angola

Ebola was first discovered in 1976 in what is now DR Congo, and is thought to have spread from bats. This is the 17th outbreak of the deadly viral disease in the country.

There is no proven cure for Ebola, with the average fatality rate is around 50%, according to the WHO.

Africa CDC previously said it was concerned by the high risk of further spread due to the urban settings of Rwampara and Bunia, and mining activities in Mongwalu.

The health agency’s executive director Dr Jean Kaseya added that “significant population movement” between the affected areas and neighbouring countries also meant regional co-ordination was essential.

Around 15,000 people have died from the virus in African countries over the past 50 years.

DR Congo’s deadliest outbreak was between 2018 and 2020, during which nearly 2,300 people died.

Last year, 45 people died after an outbreak in a remote region.

Like this:

Like Loading…

Related

Congo Ebola World News
Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
BBC News Service

Related Posts

Trump labels Iran’s counter-offer to US proposals to end the war ‘garbage’

May 18, 2026

New Report Reveals The Brutal Truth About October 7 That Many Still Deny

May 17, 2026

How many steps are needed per day to lose weight?

May 16, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

CVNZ News Promo
Don't Miss
New Zealand

Willis Swings the Axe: Nearly 9000 Public Service Roles to Go

By Mike Bain/cvnznews.com and Colin Ambler/cvnznews.comMay 19, 20260 New Zealand

By Mike Bain and Colin Ambler/cvnznews.com The Government has confirmed plans for one of the…

Like this:

Like Loading…

U.K. pastor’s prosecution suggests “creeping censorship”

May 19, 2026

Shoppers May Have Cut Back, But Still Spending

May 19, 2026

Auckland Rental Enquiries Surge

May 19, 2026
Can't make a difference
CVNZ News promo
View the latest commentary about todays culture through the lens of the Bible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfzHynnZrHw&t=54s
The road
CVNZ News – Jesus Illustration Story

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

%d